American style pancake recipe
photo credit: D’Arcy Norman
Thicker than its European cousin the American pancake is a sweet treat for breakfast. Often served with maple syrup as a side to eggs and bacon.
Serves: 4-6 depending on thickness
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 minutes
5oz / 135g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
5oz / 130ml milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter
- Sift the flour into a bowl and mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and milk then add the melted butter.
- Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir out the lumps
- Leave to sit for half an hour
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter
- Add half a ladle of mixture to the pan and leave until there are bubbles bursting on the top, at this point turn the pancake and cook until both sides are golden
- Serve with maple syrup
To make blueberry pancakes add a handful of blueberries to the mixture before adding to the pan.