Apple cake recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30-40 mins
285 g / 10 oz soft butter (plus extra for greasing)
285 g/ 10 oz caster sugar
285 g/ 10 oz self raising flour
5 eggs (beaten)
2 apples (diced)
rind and juice of 1 lemon
a pinch of mixed spice
a pinch of ground cinnamon
60 g / 2 oz of demerara sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C / 375F.
- Grease one large or two small baking tins with a little butter.
- Mix the butter and caster sugar until lightly creamed.
- Gradually beat in the flour and eggs until the mixture is smooth.
- Gently stir in the apples, lemon rind, lemon juice, mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then cut up to eat.