Apple Crumble recipe
A British desert of an apple/cinnamon filling topped with a crumbly topping, similar to a fruit cobbler. Goes great served hot with ice cream or custard.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
1lb apples, peeled and sliced
2oz brown sugar
1tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
a sprinkle of cinnamon
10oz sieved plain
6oz brown sugar
7oz unsalted butter
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Break up the butter into chunks and rub it and the flour mixture between your fingers until it all looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl mix together the filling ingredients and coat the apple slices without breaking them up into tiny pieces.
- In a buttered 9 inch baking dish, first place the filling, then the topping ensuring a reasonably equal coverage across the dish
- Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes until you can see the filling bubbling around the edges and the topping has browned.
- Serve hot with ice cream.