Celeriac soup recipe
photo credit: jules:stonesoup
Warm and creamy, great on a cold winters evening.
Prep time: 15 to 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 to 30 mins
1 Medium onion
1 oz / 25 g Butter
1 1/2 lb / 700 g Celeriac
1 Medium-small potato
1 Chicken stock cube
3 tbsp crème fraîche
5 fl oz / 150 ml Milk
- Peel, halve and finely chop the onion.
- In a medium pan melt the butter and then add the onion along with a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid aso that the onion will soften. Meanwhile quarter and then peel the celeriac.
- Chop into 1 inch chunks.
- Peel the potato and chop into similar sized chunks.
- Stir both into the softened onion, add another generous pinch of salt, cover and sweat for 5 min.
- While that is on the go, dissolve the stock cube in 600ml/20 oz boiling water and add to the pan once the 5 minutes is up.
- Bring to the boil for about 10 minutes until the celeriac and potato are tender.
- Liquidize (you can use a hand blender) and return to a clean pan.
- Stir in 2 tbsp crème fraîche (or substitute sour cream) along with the milk.
- Return to simmer, taste and season to taste with salt and lemon juice.
- Serve with a swirl of crème fraîche, a generous grating of nutmeg and a few snipped chives