Chicken Korma curry recipe
photo credit: mdid
A mild, fragrant, creamy chicken curry.
Prep time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
1kg / 2.2 lbs Chicken thighs
Groundnut oil / ghee as required to fry
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
1 tsp coriander seeds
10 black peppercorns
6 cardamom pods, ground
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
2 tbsp cinnamon powder
4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chilli powder
300 ml / 10 1/2 fl oz natural yogurt
3 bay leaves
300 ml / 10 1/2 fl oz chicken stock or water
juice of one lemon
- Heat the oil (or ghee) in a large pan and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Remove the onions from the pan with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- Add all the spices and the garlic to the pan and fry until the aromas rise and the spices start to brown, (be careful not to burn them!), then add the chicken and salt and cook until browned.
- Add the yoghurt, a few spoonfuls at a time, stirring to blend in before adding more, then add the bay leaves, stock or water and fried onions.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for an hour or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon lemon juice and mix well.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with rice and naan bread.