Cream Scones recipe
photo credit: LDHNY
Scones are a great accompaniment to a cup of tea in the afternoon!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
1 large egg
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ tsp salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
¾ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment
- Stir together the egg and cream in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the butter and rub the mixture between your fingertips. You want to rub all the ingredients in together until you get a bowl that resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Add the egg and cream and stir in with a fork. You just want to get the dough sticking together at this point so be careful not to overmix.
- Once you have something that resembles dough, knead it by hand (this can be still in the bowl or on a lightly dusted work surface) 8-10 times to get some air into it.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each into a rough circle about 3/4 of an inch thick and cut the circle into 6 slices like a pizza.
- Bake the scones for 20 to 22 minutes, or until their tops are golden and firm.
- Transfer them to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.