Easy Chicken Dopiaza recipe
photo credit: mdid
A really easy and quick curry sauce, I used a pack of pre-fried and browned onions and garlic and ginger I’d liquidised with groundnut oil which keeps in the fridge for months.
Prep time: Less than 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 to 30 mins
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seed
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced root ginger
5 tomatoes – peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
500g (1 1/4 lb) cubed chicken breast meat
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop, 20 to 45 seconds.
- Stir in onion and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season with turmeric, cayenne, garam masala, garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant, add the ground cumin.
- Purée the mixture with the tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
- Return the purée to the saucepan and add the chicken. Simmer gently until the chicken has cooked, about 20 minutes; add water as needed while cooking to maintain desired consistency.