Queen of Puddings recipe
Recipe by Claire W 30 January 2010 No Comments
Prep time: 15 to 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
1 pint / 570 ml milk
4 oz / 110 g fresh white breadcrumbs
1/2 oz / 10 g butter
2 oz / 50 g caster sugar
Grated rind of a small lemon
3 level tablespoons raspberry jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c / 350f / Gas mark 4
- Generously butter a 1 1/2 pint / 845 ml oval pie-dish
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, breadcrumbs, 1oz (25g) of the sugar and the lemon rind, and leave for 20 minuted to allow the breadcrumbs to swell.
- Separate the eggs, beat the yolks and add them to the cooled breadcrumb mix. Pour it all into the pie dish and spread it out evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the jam over a low heat and, when the pudding is ready, remove it from the oven and spread the jam carefully and evenly over the top.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in 1oz (25g) of caster sugar and spoon this meringue mixture over the pudding. Finally, sprinkle a teaspoon of caster sugar over it all and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes until the topping is golden brown.